I used to love experimenting with the ingredients in my kitchen to make home-made beauty remedies. I don’t know why I stop doing it. But I have two favourites that I always make because I always have the ingredients inside my kitchen cabinet; coffee, brown sugar, sea salt and lemon.
Coffee Body Scrub
I grew to love this scrub when I have a bad case of cellulite and stretchmarks after giving birth to my daughter. The skin around the stretchmarks became really dark. It’s not until I found this home-made remedy of coffee scrub that finally the stretchmarks beaome smoother and the darker skin diminish.
The caffeine in the coffee when used on the surface of your skin will help redistribute fat cells thus eliminating the cellulite on our skin. There are a couple of brands that I know which have coffee body scrub, The Skin Food is one of the brands that came out with one and have received really good review.
But if you want to make it yourself at home, here’s what you need:
- 2 cups of coffee grounds like Kapal Api and don’t use instant coffee because it will dissolve in water easily and will not have any grit at all at the touch of your skin.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or raw sugar
- 2/3 to 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, you can use any massage oil but I prefer this one because Olive Oil moisturize your skin and the Extra Virgin one always has a nice aromatic smell.
- Put coffee and brown sugar in a bowl and mix them.
- Add the olive oil until it coats the coffee and brown sugar but doesn’t feel too wet.
- Add a dash of cinnamon or any essence if you want the scrub to have a nice scent
- Apply to a slightly damp skin and scrub away.
Use it twice a week and you’ll see a significant change to your skin texture after a week of use.
Lemon Sugar Facial Scrub
Lemon is known to be very acidic and have so many benefit. But one of the famous ones has to be its lightening ability when used as a skincare ingredient. Not only that but it can also be used as an exfoliator and it feels fresh to the skin. You just have to make it feel good enough for the face to use.
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- Mix the lemon juice with the granulated sugar, start with 1/2 tablespoon and keep adding till you think it’s enough.
- What you want is to create a paste like consistency.
- Apply to your face for a little over 5 minutes and massage it lightly and wash it off.
- Do this twice a week and it will help to lighten your dull complexion, exfoliate dead skin cells and refresh your skin.
Word of caution though, don’t overdo this scrub because it also acts as an exfoliant.
Have fun trying these recipes at home. What’s your kitchen beauty secret?